Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week 26: Ramadan - Kunafa [Baking]

Intro from Baking Challenge: Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, is celebrated around the world. During Ramadan, adult Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. In the morning, before the sun rises, the day is begun with Suhoor, a pre-dawn meal. In the evening, fast is broken with Iftar. There are many baked dishes, both sweet and savory, often served during Suhoor and Iftar. Here are just a few: Noni Afghani (a tender baked flat bread, typically served during Suhoor); Kunafa (a filled pastry usually made from shredded phyllo dough. There are many versions - this particular recipe has a sweet cream filling and is soaked in syrup.); Atayef (a versatile filled pancake, which can be baked or fried to finish them off after they are filled); Rose Petal Pound Cake (a lovely pound cake made with rose water).


I used this very simple recipe to make nut kunafa with cashews and pecans. I had extra fillo dough so I decided to shred it by hand rather than go buy special kataifi dough. Despite the prevailing sentiment on the internet, it CAN be done, but it's definitely a very time consuming and physically tiring process (my hand was cramping by the end).


Using a knife, cut very very thin shreds
On the whole, I have to say I was underwhelmed by this dish. Maybe I'm spoiled from the baklava a few weeks ago, but the kunafa tasted bland. If I were to do it over, I would probably add some cinnamon and/or honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment