Monday, June 9, 2014

Week 21: Beer - Guinness Baked Beans [Cooking]

Intro from Cooking Challenge: All it takes is Yeast, Barley, Hops & Water! Let's have these guys explain how Beer is made. It's a crazy science that with the right equipment at home, you can make a brew! Beer is great on it's own, but it's also stupendous in recipes!


Not exactly the first thing you think of when you think of summer food, but a cool beer is great any day! I cooked down some chopped up bacon in a pot until the fat was rendered, and then added baked beans, some diced onion, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, dark brown sugar, and a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout. After letting it simmer for about 15 minutes (it was very watery), I spooned it into a glass oven dish. I like my beans on the thicker side, so I used a slatted spoon to scoop out the good stuff into the dish, then added some of the remaining juice until the dish was full (I had a fair bit of juice left over in the pot). Then I cooked them for about 50 minutes at 400F.  Now to figure out what to do with the other five of the six pack!

Recipe adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment