Monday, March 17, 2014

Week 11: Pie - Banana Coconut Cream Pie [Baking]

Intro from Baking Challenge: March 14 is Pi Day! Even if you barely remember high school math this is really an excuse to bake a delicious pie! The first step to making an awesome pie is an awesome crust! You can stick with the classic or perhaps switch it up with a pretzel crust or a fancy pants cinnamon roll crust. Step 2 is your filling. Sweet or savoury there are a million different flavours such as fruit, custard or meat! And finally, to finish off your pie try out some decorative crusts or pile it high with some fluffy meringue.


Fruit pies are usually my go-to, but since I already made mini fruit pies for Week 2's bite-sized challenge, I decided to go with a cream pie.  It ended up being a huge hit at work - I didn't even get a piece myself!

I used the recipe here and it ended up making enough to fill two pies (I doubled the bananas to layer the bottom and doubled the whipped cream, but there was definitely enough custard for both).  The Girl Scout cookies on top were a last minute spontaneous decision but ended up being the highlight of the pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment